Slow download speeds but only for certain files

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
aInT_tHe_sEcoNd

Slow download speeds but only for certain files

Post by aInT_tHe_sEcoNd » 18 Jul 2019, 19:14

Hi, I just installed nzbget for the first time this week and I am new to the Usenet.

My Newsservers: newshosting.com (primary), newsgroupdirect.com (blocks), thecubenet.com (blocks)
My NZB Indexers: nzbplanet.com, nzbgeek.info

Most of my downloads top out at around 27 MB/s, which is the downloadspeed i get from my ISP. Some files however download at a much slower speed (around 1.5 MB/s). I can find no common denominator.
I get no errors and my system has plenty of resources left.

I have allocated 10 Connections per newsserver. I tried adjusting those, no luck.
I am using secure connections. I added a cipher manually, but it made no difference.

Is this normal? Can I do something to fix this?

Here is a screen shot of "Volume Statistics" during the download of a "slow" file:

sanderj

Re: Slow download speeds but only for certain files

Post by sanderj » 18 Jul 2019, 20:26

I can find no common denominator.
- Age of the post?
- The newsserver on which the post is availabe?

... assuming the speed is reproducible.

aInT_tHe_sEcoNd

Post by aInT_tHe_sEcoNd » 19 Jul 2019, 10:09

Just realized that the image above was not visible, so here the link: https://imgur.com/a/oO86m9A

Age of the posts range from 300 to 2800 days.

I now noticed that none of them have their health at 100%. The posts are (partially) available on either Newshosting or NewsGroupDirect. Here are two examples:

https://imgur.com/a/3RKsd6P

I left it running over night and can now see that some of these downloads eventually fail, presumably because of bad health and others succeed (I cannot see any details, since they all got tagged with "hidden" and so it has little information).
The problem is that they run for up to 90 minutes per download even if they fail in the end (file sizes range from 1 to 8 GB).
Last edited by aInT_tHe_sEcoNd on 19 Jul 2019, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

aInT_tHe_sEcoNd

Post by aInT_tHe_sEcoNd » 19 Jul 2019, 10:11

I tried to reproduce the effect with a failed file again.

During the night it took this file 90minutes until it failed, when I tried the same file again just now it failed again (because of low health) but this time it took only about a minute.

aInT_tHe_sEcoNd

Post by aInT_tHe_sEcoNd » 19 Jul 2019, 11:13

Hi, I am still experimenting.
So I took one of these problematic posts that was downloading from Newshosting with about 1 MB/s. I then disabled Newshosting. The file continued downloading, switching to NewsGroupDirect. But the speed remained the same.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 20 Jul 2019, 19:14

Providers may archive older posts by putting them to slower medium. Downloading such posts can be much slower than usual.

Recently downloaded post is hidden in history? Check option KeepHistory then.

aInT_tHe_sEcoNd

Post by aInT_tHe_sEcoNd » 21 Jul 2019, 01:42

hugbug wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 19:14
Providers may archive older posts by putting them to slower medium. Downloading such posts can be much slower than usual.

Recently downloaded post is hidden in history? Check option KeepHistory then.
Oh that's why! That makes sense... Now I can finally stop looking for issues on my end! I have been trying to find an answer to this for days. Thank you so much for your reply! And thanks for the tip about KeepHistory, I will make use of that...