unRAR has been removed because of licensing issues. Alternatives for unRAR?

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
zoltan

unRAR has been removed because of licensing issues. Alternatives for unRAR?

Post by zoltan » 17 Dec 2020, 05:45

So, the package manager Homebrew has deleted unRAR because of licensing issues. The Fedora wiki has this to say:
This license is BAD, and should not be used in anything in Fedora. It has use-restrictions that make it GPL-Incompatible and non-free. On top of that, the license requires that you agree to these use restrictions, or you must remove the software (source and binary) from your hard disks. Accordingly, this means that any code under this license can not be shipped as part of Fedora in source or binary form.
Given that nzbget requires unRAR to function properly, is there something that we can use instead of unRAR or are we (or Mac users at least) going to need to build unRAR from source to use nzbget?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: unRAR has been removed because of licensing issues. Alternatives for unRAR?

Post by hugbug » 17 Dec 2020, 09:20

You can download nzbget from nzbget download page. It includes everything what's needed including unrar.

Unrar for most platforms is also available from winrar website.

zoltan

Post by zoltan » 17 Dec 2020, 09:44

hugbug wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 09:20
You can download nzbget from nzbget download page. It includes everything what's needed including unrar.
Wait, what? Since when?

I’ve had to point nzbget to /usr/local/bin/unrar on every Mac I’ve installed it on over the years.

You mean that all this time I could’ve left the UnrarCmd field empty instead of pasting in the path to unrar?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 17 Dec 2020, 10:15

If you install NZBGet using installation package from nzbget home page, then you don't need to change "UnrarCmd" from its default value "${AppDir}/unrar".

If you install nzbget from some other repository then you probably need to obtain unrar somehow.

zoltan

Post by zoltan » 17 Dec 2020, 19:34

hugbug wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 10:15
If you install NZBGet using installation package from nzbget home page, then you don't need to change "UnrarCmd" from its default value "${AppDir}/unrar".

If you install nzbget from some other repository then you probably need to obtain unrar somehow.
Thanks for clarifying things.

I've never seen "${AppDir}/unrar" in the "UnrarCmd" field. I think it's because with every install of NZBget, I've been using my pre-existing .conf, which goes all the way back to when I could only install NZBget (version 14?) via MacPorts and had to use /usr/local/bin/unrar.