Connection failure issues

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
Post Reply
dalrun
Posts: 170
Joined: 09 Sep 2008, 17:12
Contact:

Connection failure issues

Post by dalrun » 24 Nov 2008, 22:24

My ISP's news server has gotten very undependable. The first issue is that I cannot pause downloading if there is a connection issue, I have to stop the daemon.

I decided to get a backup "daytime" (.nl, 6p-8a here) account. The second issue is that the level 1 server will not be used when there is a connection issue with the level 0 server. I have swap levels so that the working server is level 0.

hugbug
Developer & Admin
Posts: 7426
Joined: 09 Sep 2008, 11:58
Location: Germany

Re: Connection failure issues

Post by hugbug » 25 Nov 2008, 08:29

dalrun wrote:My ISP's news server has gotten very undependable. The first issue is that I cannot pause downloading if there is a connection issue, I have to stop the daemon.
I thought I fixed this. But I see now, I didn't commited the changes. Will fix this soon.
dalrun wrote:I decided to get a backup "daytime" (.nl, 6p-8a here) account. The second issue is that the level 1 server will not be used when there is a connection issue with the level 0 server. I have swap levels so that the working server is level 0.
That's correct. The upper level servers are used only for errors "article not found" or "group not found". Connection error are treated as temporary errors. How you suggest to process here?

hugbug
Developer & Admin
Posts: 7426
Joined: 09 Sep 2008, 11:58
Location: Germany

Re: Connection failure issues

Post by hugbug » 25 Nov 2008, 17:13

dalrun wrote:My ISP's news server has gotten very undependable. The first issue is that I cannot pause downloading if there is a connection issue, I have to stop the daemon.
Fixed in r256.

dalrun
Posts: 170
Joined: 09 Sep 2008, 17:12
Contact:

Re: Connection failure issues

Post by dalrun » 25 Nov 2008, 20:12

hugbug wrote:That's correct. The upper level servers are used only for errors "article not found" or "group not found". Connection error are treated as temporary errors. How you suggest to process here?
Its also a problem when both servers are level 0 (the failing server is continually retried). Is being able to pause a specific server, i.e. enable/disable a server without stopping NZBGet, a possibility? Would others find that useful? I realize my situation is a bit unusual (one or both servers unavailable for long periods of time). Its probably time for a new ISP. In the mean time, swapping levels is fairly painless with nzbgetweb 1.3.

P.S. In browsing the logs I noticed that 430 errors have an extra newline (r247).

hugbug
Developer & Admin
Posts: 7426
Joined: 09 Sep 2008, 11:58
Location: Germany

Re: Connection failure issues

Post by hugbug » 26 Nov 2008, 14:13

dalrun wrote:Its also a problem when both servers are level 0 (the failing server is continually retried).
It takes any free connection on each attempt. But chances to obtain a connection from a working server are much smaller, because there are many bad connections in server pool waiting and all good connections are probably in use.
That's not optimal, I agree.
dalrun wrote:Is being able to pause a specific server, i.e. enable/disable a server without stopping NZBGet, a possibility?
It's very difficult. The connection management must be significantly redesigned to allow this. May be in later versions, but not as a quick fix :(
dalrun wrote:P.S. In browsing the logs I noticed that 430 errors have an extra newline (r247).
Can you post an example (or send me the log via e-mail) if you still have the logs?

dalrun
Posts: 170
Joined: 09 Sep 2008, 17:12
Contact:

Re: Connection failure issues

Post by dalrun » 26 Nov 2008, 21:17

hugbug wrote:The connection management must be significantly redesigned to allow this.
No biggie. Individual server management might provide some interesting options, e.g. per server scheduling, stats and messages.
hugbug wrote:Can you post an example

Code: Select all

Thu Nov 13 19:04:52 2008	WARNING	...430 Dont have it

Thu Nov 13 19:04:52 2008	WARNING	... failed
...
Tue Nov 25 23:00:21 2008	WARNING	... 430 No such article

Tue Nov 25 23:02:02 2008	INFO	Successfully downloaded 

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests