NZBGet ErrNo 2 - could not resolve hostname

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
matchewroberto

NZBGet ErrNo 2 - could not resolve hostname

Post by matchewroberto » 22 Apr 2014, 12:19

Ive got NZBGet running on my Synology DS1513+, and running into a small error that doesn't seem to be a problem, but I never had this error when running on my mac.

I have 2 newsgroup subscriptions (Supernews and Tweaknews). All my files are downloading fine from either server, but randomly I am getting lots of errors for:

Could not resolve hostname news.supernews.com: ErrNo 2, No such file or directory
Could not resolve hostname news.tweaknews.eu: ErrNo 2, No such file or directory

I checked hostname, and it is correct, and like i said it is downloading perfectly fine from these servers.

Any suggestions on the cause and how to fix?

sanderj

Re: NZBGet ErrNo 2 - could not resolve hostname

Post by sanderj » 23 Apr 2014, 05:22

"Could not resolve hostname news.supernews.com" means your name resolution (DNS) is not working.
However: "ErrNo 2, No such file or directory" ... I don't understand that, and it seems a python error message (whereas nzbget is a compiled c program)

As a test, you could change the newsserver names in the nzbget settings to their respective IP addresses

news.supernews.com has address 138.199.67.30
news.tweak-news.eu has address 82.197.196.44

... then check if the error message are gone. If not, it's another program reporting those errors.

After this test, you should set the newsserver names back.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 23 Apr 2014, 07:31

NZBGet uses system function getaddrinfo to translate dns name to IP address. If that function fails NZBGet reads the system error code (2) and message associated with the error code (No such file or directory).

According to docs of getaddrinfo the system error code is set if the functions returns "EAI_SYSTEM". The function may return other return codes. NZBGet however doesn't check them and always reads the system error code. That's probably not correct and results in a misleading error message "ErrNo 2, No such file or directory". I should change the error reporting but in any case I can't avoid the error from happening.

The problem could be in routing between the NAS and your router. The router may acts as DNS server in local network. Anyway the error is harmless since NZBGet retries to connect and once a connection is established it is used until everything is downloaded (or the connection is broken). If the error happens very often that might be an indication of a problem in the local network.

matchewroberto

Post by matchewroberto » 23 Apr 2014, 12:36

thanks, ill keep an eye on it and check my local network settings. it is definitely harmless, as everything is working perfectly for me, and even when the error occurs, I'm in process of downloading a file from the server anyway... so not sure it is accurate.