Feature Request: Default Category For RSS Feeds

Discuss newly added features or request new features.
get39678

Feature Request: Default Category For RSS Feeds

Post by get39678 » 17 Jul 2014, 19:50

Would it be possible to assign a default category for items in RSS feeds that do not have a category defined?

Currently you can use the category in the RSS feed (not sure if this is 100% working so currently testing) OR assign the same category to all items in a feed using feedX.category.

It is a logic change and but would avoid another setting and I do not know how it would impact others but if feedX.category could be assigned to any items in the RSS feeds without a category specified that would be perfect.

If the RSS feed includes a category this is left as it is and NOT changed to feedX.category

Thanks

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: Feature Request: Default Category For RSS Feeds

Post by hugbug » 17 Jul 2014, 20:47

This should do the trick:

Code: Select all

Options(category:my category): -category:*

douche

Post by douche » 05 Aug 2014, 21:44

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I have a very similar question/request.

I'd rather not have NZBGet automatically use the categories associated with the RSS feeds, I manually sort, and have my own scripts to do what I want.

Can the RSS auto-categories be disabled?

Thanks.

get39678

Post by get39678 » 06 Aug 2014, 16:41

hugbug wrote:This should do the trick:

Options(category:my category): -category:*
I forgot to update this thread.

My problem is that the RSS category of an item may not be the same as the NZB category of the item.

If I use the Read Feeds button the categories are how I want them but once they are added to the queue the category in the NZB file is then used overriding the category in the RSS feed.

I would prefer that the RSS category is used when the item is in the queue rather than the NZB category.

Not sure if there is anyway of facilitating this with as much flexibility as possible?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 06 Aug 2014, 17:31

get39678 wrote:If I use the Read Feeds button the categories are how I want them but once they are added to the queue the category in the NZB file is then used overriding the category in the RSS feed.
The category shown in the preview is the category read from RSS feed. The category after adding to queue is after applying of all filter rules. If you want the original rss category just don't set category in the rules.

If you mean something different try to explain on a real life example because I don't understand what is the problem :)

get39678

Post by get39678 » 09 Aug 2014, 11:07

I click the Downloads - Feeds - Feed1 arrow button. This displays a screen of matching feed items with categories of Cat1, Cat2, Cat3 - if I view the feed source using Firefox these categories are specified in the feed.

I then select items from this screen and tell it to Fetch Selected.

The items are then added to the queue but the categories in the queue are CatA, CatB, CatC not Cat1, Cat2, Cat3

It does not seem to be using the category that is displayed on the Fetch Selected screen it seems to be using a category that is perhaps specified in the NZB file guessing <meta type="category">CatA</meta>.

Is it possible to get it to use the RSS category if the queue item came from an RSS feed rather than the category specified in the NZB?

Thanks

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 09 Aug 2014, 11:47

get39678 wrote:it seems to be using a category that is perhaps specified in the NZB file guessing <meta type="category">CatA</meta>
NZBGet doesn't use meta-tag for category.
What can happen is one of:
  • option FeedX.Category is not empty - then this category is set for rss items;
  • rss filter has category definitions - then these categories are used;
  • options CategoryX.Alias are defined - then the mapping to aliases is used (if matching).
The category shown in the rss preview dialog is category read from rss feed before any mapping has effect.

get39678

Post by get39678 » 10 Aug 2014, 12:02

hugbug wrote:
get39678 wrote:it seems to be using a category that is perhaps specified in the NZB file guessing <meta type="category">CatA</meta>
NZBGet doesn't use meta-tag for category.
What can happen is one of:
  • option FeedX.Category is not empty - then this category is set for rss items;
  • rss filter has category definitions - then these categories are used;
  • options CategoryX.Alias are defined - then the mapping to aliases is used (if matching).
The category shown in the rss preview dialog is category read from rss feed before any mapping has effect.
If FeedX.Category is not blank it uses whatever I enter in the box in the queue but then that is always the same and is again ignoring the category in the feed.

I have no Settings - Categories defined. The FeedX.Category is blank.

In the Downloads - Feed - FeedX RSS preview screen the category from the RSS feed is used.

When I select it and Fetch Selected it is added to the Queue but the category is no longer what it was in the RSS Preview screen it is getting the category from somewhere else by coincidence it appears to match what is in the NZB file - it is not always the same it does change depending on the NZB file.

Is there anything else I can do to help track down what is is doing?

Thanks

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 10 Aug 2014, 12:07

Don't you have any category definitions in the rss filter?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 10 Aug 2014, 12:21

I think I know what's this.
When nzb-file is fetched via URL (in particular from rss feed) the server may send category as a HTTP-header which NZBGet processes. If the item doesn't have any category set yet this category is used then.

You can use the following filter command (before any accept-command) to assign category from rss feed to an item:

O(category:${1}): category:$(.*)